Sunday, August 14, 2005

What's up with that name?

Well, a couple of years ago I woke up from a deep sleep with a phrase stuck in my head. It was a "Serendipity" moment for me, I gasped in amazement at the phrase and said to myself "That’s gonna be the name of my memoirs. The book of my life story. PERFECT!" Well of course I don't remember what the heck that phrase was so here I battle to name my blog.

In the battle I thought of my favorite poet and my favorite poem. A poem I recited both in Spanish and English at my 6th grade graduation from Melrose Elementry School: Mother to son by Langston Hughes.

Mother to Son by Langston Hughes
Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now—For I'se still goin',
honey,I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Little did I know at that time that this poem would have such an impact on my life. That the trials I'd face in my life would mirror this mother. That one day I'd share my experiences with my sons and admonish them in the same manner.

Well, that's the short version of why I've named my blog.

This is all new to me, I used to get too personal and mushy when I would write. I just let it all out there. I'll try not to 'cause I know this is like out for the entire world to see but then again, if my experiences can encourage just one to keep on pressing forward then it's all worth it.

I used to write, a lot. When I was young. Then my mom died and I stopped. Never wrote again, untill I started journaling in my scrapbook pages. I'd write a few paragraphs here and there but nothing too long or involved. Maybe this will get me back into the "groove" and get my brain to start flowing in tune with my heart once again. We'll see, it's only been like 20 years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Rebecca! I love it!! Look, I get to be the first one to ever comment on your blog too!! I can't wait to read what you have to write! Your an amazing woman and friend! Love the name and the poem!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca, this is so cool. I am impressed. I have never been a writer and I still struggle with journaling on my pages. Keep on writing. I love the butt story, LOL.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home