Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My joy

I've just gotta say, I love my boys.

Life goes by so fast and children grow even faster.

Going to the fair has been a yearly tradition for us for at least 13 years. I used to load up the car, double stroller, lunches, bottles, juice boxes, sunscreen, hats, diapers...well, you get the picture, and head out to the fair with the boys. We'd have fun walking around, playing with the exhibits on "Kids day" watching the silly & corny shows. By the end of the day I was exhausted from dealing with the three little ones - all 2 years apart. So depending on the year I could have a 1, 3 & 5yo...and so on.

We visited the fair yesterday. With my teen boys and my little one. Although I truly miss the fun we used to have when they were little, the questions, their cute faces, I have come to appreciate my children in a whole different sense.

Instead of running around and under and in circles LOL, my boys actually can appreciate the art that is displayed. We can walk through the Hall of Commerce or the Garden exhibits and take our time perusing, instead of just running through with no clue or appreciation for the beauty that is around....or admiring the special squeegee that will last the next 25 years! HA!

No, are we done yet? Can we go now? This is boring! Well, I got a little of that from Alex but at least it wasn't 3 to 1 against me....it was 4 to 1 against Alex!

It's so nice to be able to hold an intelligent - thought provoking conversation with your children. Yeah, singing silly songs and making funny faces is a hoot too!

But, to know that the children you have raised and watched grow for all these years have amazing thoughts and dreams and hold an appreciation for art and education is a wonderful feeling. We can walk through a museum or an educational exhibit TOGETHER, they don't roll their eyes instead, they take time to inform themselves and read things that interest them.

I've heard so many people talk about how their teens don't like spending time with their families. They don't go out with their parents, they have no interest in family time. I thank God I don't have to force my kids to go out with me, I thank God I still have my kids with me.

They are my joy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Dones said...

Rebecca, I truly enjoy reading your blog more than anything else I do on the web. You have such a beautiful talent for describing your "charmed" life. I admire the way you drink up every ounce of being a Mother. I am lucky enough to also have boys that love to be with family and haven't decided to never be seen in public with me again. We seem to be a strongly connected family. This must have something to do with our (yours and mine) latin roots or maybe our scrapbooking roots :*). You and your family (especially Willie) are always in my thoughts and prayers :*)> Lisa

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. I hope that Max will want to hang out with his mom & dad when he gets older. :-)

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home