Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Our Museum Field trip (finally got the pics to load!)


We took a little field trip to the deYoung Museum in Golden Gate park last week.

My main purpose was to take the boys to go see the Chicano Art Exhibit . It was a wonderful exhibit, with many gorgeous pieces and a lot of history about the Chicano "culture". (I told big Willy he could be in the pic even though "technically" he's not Chicano LOL)



We continued on through the rest of the museum, where I'm glad to say the boys were very well behaved and actually READ and LOOKED at most of the pieces!

A few months ago I chaperoned a field trip of 7th graders to the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco. That museum is just AMAZING, three floors worth of marvelous art, very impressive. The 7th graders weren't too impressed though, they flew through 3 floors worth of packed exhibits in less than 1/2 hour! Yeah, needless to say I took my group through the exhibits AGAIN and I was the most hated chaperone of the 7th grad this year, some of the girls feared me and my son wanted NOTHING to do with me the rest of the day!

Well, Alex was mostly amazed. I explained to him that each display had a little plaque that described and dated the piece. I went on to explain that these pieces were not only "cool" but also very, very old. I think that's what piqued his interest. He kept looking at the dates and asking me "You mean this was made 600 years before Christ was born?" Here's a picture of one his favorite pieces, it's a sculpture of a baby holding a ball, dated at anywhere 600-200 BC, HA! babies played with balls back then too! LOL

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always find the coolest places to go. (Ha...funny about BW being 'allowed' into the Chicano picture.)

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever since I heard Cheech Marin talk about this on the radio, I've wanted to go! Now I MUST! :)

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home